Organ and tissue donation provides a "second chance" for thousands of people each
year and is the result of people helping people - ordinary people becoming "Heroes”.
When you make a personal commitment to be an organ and tissue donor, you can save
up to eight lives and improve the quality of nearly 50 people's lives. Many organ
and tissues can be donated including heart, liver, kidney, lungs, pancreas, intestine,
skin, bone, tendons, ligaments, vessels, heart valves, nerves, middle ear bone and
eyes. The need is real. The need is urgent.
Here are the facts:
- Every day 19 people die waiting for an organ transplant.
- Every 12 minutes another person is added to
UNOS national transplant list.
- Over 60% of the US population are NOT registered donors.
- More children are currently diagnosed with liver disease than leukemia – children
make up 4% of the 16,875 people currently on the liver transplant waiting list.
- 97% of organ donor registrations originate from state Departments of Motor Vehicles.
Miracles for Life
is a national 501c3 non-profit located in Milford, Ohio. In 2001, Tom Starr, a two-time liver transplant recipient and healthcare
activist founded Miracles for Life with his brother Larry Starr, a professional
baseball athletic trainer.
Miracles for Life offers children and teens who are recovering from a lifesaving
tissue or organ transplant to be themselves in an outdoor educational experience.
to learn more about Miracles for Life Youth Transplant Camp.
Ohio Today did an article on Tom Starr on his hard work to raise awareness
of organ donation.